This article is for IT Contacts and Safeguarding Contacts.
The Devices page displays a list of your users’ devices running the Monitor Client, Monitor Extension or Monitor browser. IT Contacts and Safeguarding contacts can access the Devices page. Your IT Contact and Safeguarding Contacts will have different reasons to view the Devices page.
Your IT Contact can view the Last Seen dates to verify Monitor installations and remove unused devices. They can also use the Version and filter to install the new Monitor client on devices.
In contrast, your Safeguarding Contact may search the Device list for a Hostname (Device name) from an Event. They can see when the device last connected and the time of the last capture. The Safeguarding Contact can plan the best support for the student using the device.
View a List of Devices
- Select Devices.
- Monitor displays 20 devices per page.
- Devices are displayed once.
|Device name/ serial no.||The Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of an Apple or Windows device or the serial number of a Chromebook.|
|Status||The number of days since the device contacted your Monitor Portal.|
The version of the Monitor client installed on the device. An update warning is displayed if a new version is available.
|Operating system||The operating system of the device.|
|Last seen||The last date and time the device connected to Monitor.|
|Last capture||The last date and time the device sent a capture to the Monitor Moderators.|
- Select a column title to sort the list. Select the column title again to reverse the sort.
- Go to the bottom of the window to go to a different page.
|Page number||Select the current page number and enter the page number you want to go to.|
|>||Go to the next page.|
|<||Go to the previous page.|
|>|||Go to the last page.|
||<||Go to the first page.|
Filter for Devices
The Filters help you focus on smaller segments of the devices list. For example, your Safeguarding Contact can use a filter to limit the list to recently connected devices while investigating several recent Events. Or, your IT Contact can use the filter to plan which types of devices need to be updated with the latest Monitor client.
Filters are available for:
- Devices not connected in over 7 days or sent data in over 5 days
- Devices not connected in over 2 days or sent data in over 1 day
- Devices connected in the last 2 days and sent data in the last day
- Devices are not on the latest version
Check one filter and uncheck the other filters to show the devices matching the condition you need. You can check multiple filters to show devices matching either of the selected conditions.
Search for Devices
The Search finds one or more devices by the Device name (Apple or Windows) or Serial number (Chromebook).
Your Safeguarding Contact can search for the Hostname they see in an Event. The Hostname is the Device name or the Serial number of the device running the Monitor client or extension. The last date connected can help them plan how to support the user.
Your IT Contact can match the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) to your school’s Windows and Apple devices or the serial number of a Chromebook in the Google Workspace Administrator console. The device type, operating system, Monitor client version, and device management settings can help the IT Contact troubleshoot device issues.
- To find a specific device, type all or part of the:
- Device name of a Windows, macOS or iOS device
- Serial number of a Chromebook device
- Press the enter or return key.
- The results are displayed in the list.
- You can redo the search with different characters without clearing the current search.
Find Devices Running Old Versions of Monitor
The version filter can help your IT Contact plan updates to older versions of the Monitor clients. You can use your MDM, Windows Group Policy or end-point manager to deploy updated clients to your Windows and Apple devices. Devices running the Monitor Chrome extension usually do not need an update, the Chrome extension automatically updates when the device connects to the internet.
- Check the checkbox:
Devices are not on the latest version
- Devices are not on the latest version
- Uncheck the checkboxes:
- Devices not connected in over 5 days or sent data in over 7 days
- Devices not connected in over 1 day or sent data in over 2 days
- Devices connected in the last day and sent data in the last 2 days
- Identify which devices need to be updated.
- Sort by Device name/serial no if your device naming convention identifies the type or location of your devices.
- Sort by Operating System to plan how you will update groups of devices.
- Go to Organizations > Edit > Clients to download the current versions of the Monitor client installer.
Remove Devices from Monitor
You can make managing your device list easier by having your IT Contact remove unused or lost devices from Monitor. Your Safeguarding Contact does not usually remove devices, but can if needed.
Once a device has been removed, it is not displayed on the Devices page. However, your Safeguarding Contact(s) can view past activity for the removed devices for 15 months after an Event is captured. The past device activity can be viewed in the Dashboard or Events pages by filtering for the dates when the device was active. If a removed device reconnects in the future, it will be readded to the Devices page and protected by Monitor.
- Search or filter for device(s):
- Search for a Device name (Apple or Windows) or Serial number (Chromebook) to find a single device.
- Search the Devices not connected in over 5 days or sent data in over 7 days to find unused devices.
- Select the device(s) to be removed:
- Check the checkbox to the left of the Device name/serial number of one or more devices.
- Check the checkbox at the top of the list in the title bar to select the 20 devices displayed on the page.
- Select Remove Devices to delete the checked devices.